Monday, April 16, 2012

Fake

I went to the post office the other day.  I never made it on Friday, so I had to go on Saturday and wait in a long line.  While waiting, I noticed a thirty something year old male come in.  He looked slightly frazzled, but perhaps he was trying to get his taxes mailed or something...  A couple minutes later the same 30 something year old tapped me on the shoulder and asked me to "fake his girlfriend's signature" (no not on a tax form)....on a birthday card.  Are you kidding me??  I chuckled and proceeded to write his "girlfriend's" name on the card (it was an unusual name so I had to copy it from a paper where he had already written it for me).    I started thinking...did this "girlfriend" actually even exist?  Why was it so important for him to show that she actually signed it?  Who was the card going to?  Why oh why would you fake that?  I just don't get the rationale behind it.  

Those who know me personally are well aware of the fact that I am not capable of telling a lie.  I suck at it...in fact, I can't even play board games that require me to lie.  At work I have had parents of students thank me for my complete (but tactful) honesty when I meet with them about their kids.  I have also been known to butt heads with colleagues when I have had to advocate for students. My family is well aware of my tell it like it is (but in a kind manner) philosophy.  Why wouldn't I be honest? It's too much work to do otherwise.  Although faking a girlfriend's signature is not a blatant lie, it is not completely honest and truthful. Why do it?  Again, I just don't get it. It is so much easier to be honest at all times.  Don't go behind people's backs, be yourself, be real...

I've also decided that this is why I'm not entirely comfortable wearing my wig....it's fake...well it's real hair, but not my real hair...and, it feels (in a way) like I'm not being honest.  I'm especially uncomfortable wearing it in the presence of people who know me and know I have no hair.  Who am I trying to fool?  I already have 1/2 a fake chest (which I must say I am very comfortable faking for right now...sorry too much info).  I guess the kerchief look just keeps it "real" for me.

However, today, I did venture out with my hair.  So, here I am faking it...
My kids were very excited to see Momma with hair, and so, it was worth it.  I was self conscious at first, but I did get more comfortable.  We saw someone we know and I survived the interaction without too much discomfort...I worked through it.  I felt relief when I took it off though...my head got so claustrophobic!  
I really do like the back...
Although this may be obvious...the thoughts, feelings, opinions, and experiences on this blog represent me.  I, in no way, would ever want to offend anyone with my banter.  If you are comfortable wearing a wig, then you should wear one with pride.  Be honest, be real, be you!

"Integrity is telling myself the truth.  And honesty is telling the truth to other people."
-Spencer Johnson



No comments: